Spring til indhold

Registration - CPR number

Your CPR number is your personal identification number and is key to accessing a number of services in Denmark.

registration to get a CPR number

When you have received your residence and/or work permit or EU residence document, you will need to make an appointment at Borgerservice for your civil registration number (CPR).

In Danish, the CPR number is CPR-nummer or personnummer. CPR stands for Det Centrale Person Register, which is the Danish Civil Registration System. The register contains current information about a person, including their CPR number, name, all addresses they have lived at, civil status and citizenships. Be mindful of whom you give you CPR-number to. In general, it should only be given to official authorities or anyone with a specific purpose, e.g. someone you enter a contract with such as landlords and banks.

It is important to get a CPR number as soon as possible, as it is used by the entire public administration in Denmark as well as private companies, including all of the leading banks and insurers.

In order to get a CPR number you must meet the following criteria:

  • You are staying in Denmark for more than 3 months.
  • You have an EU Residence Document, if you are an EU citizen (Nordic citizens exempted). Read how to get an EU Residence Document.
  • You hold a residence permit, if you are a non-EU citizen. Read about residence permits.
  • You have a permanent address in Denmark.

You must complete and bring the following to Borgerservice:

  • Complete the self-service solution “Application for entering Denmark” and book an appointment online.
  • Your Danish residence and work permit (non-EU/EEA citizens), or EU residence document (for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens). Nordic citizens must bring proof of their Nordic personal identification number, e.g. your passport
  • Some form of photo ID, e.g. your passport
  • If you are married, your marriage certificate or a certified copy of it
  • If you have children, your child/children’s birth certificate(s)
  • If you are divorced, your divorce certificate
  • If you are a widow/widower, the death certificate of your husband/wife
  • Proof of your address in Denmark, e.g. a rental contract

Please note that if your documents are not in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, English or German, you must bring a certified translation of them.


Find more detailed information about the registration procedure in Denmark on lifeindenmark.dk


Borgerservice (citizen service)

Østre Stationsvej 15

5000 Odense C 
Tel: +45 66 13 13 72
Email: borgerservice@odense.dk

You have to book an appointment

Questions about the registration procedure?

Call International Citizen Service: 

Tel: +45 72 22 33 30 
Email: info@icitizen.dk


Phone opening hours:

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 9-15

Friday: 9-13