Registration (CPR) and health card

Your CPR number is your personal identification number and is key to accessing a number of services in Denmark.

Newcomer Service

Newcomer Service

Consultant Zivile Petronyte

+45 29 10 62 76


When you have received your residence and/or work permit (registration certificate), you can contact the International Citizen Service or Borgerservice (citizen service) for your civil registration number (CPR) and a health insurance card.

It is important to get a CPR number as soon as possible, as it is used by the entire public administration in Denmark as well as private companies, including all of the leading banks and insurers.


The health insurance card demonstrates that you are covered by public health insurance. It allows you to receive healthcare treatment in Denmark, Greenland, and the Faroe Islands, and is used in a number of different situations such as when you visit the doctor. Medical prescriptions and dental treatment, however, are not covered by the health insurance card. Read more about the Danish healthcare system on our healthcare page.  


In order to be eligible for a CPR number and a health insurance card, you need to have:

  • Plans on staying in Denmark for more than three months
  • A residence permit (this does not apply to Nordic citizens)
  • A local address of residence
  • Birth certificate
  • Documentation for your current civil status

Your health insurance card will be sent to you by post. Please make sure to have your name on your mailbox.


International Citizen Service/Work in Denmark

Dannebrogsgade 3, 
5000 Odense C
Tel: +45 72 20 54 20 

Opening hours

Wed: 8:30 - 12:30
Thurs: 12:00 - 16:00


To read more about International Citizen Service, click here.

Borgerservice (citizen service)

Østre Stationsvej 15
5000 Odense C 
Tel: +45 78 76 48 28

Opening Hours 

Mon:   10:00 - 16:00

Tues:  10:00 - 15:00

Wed:   10:00 - 15:00

Thurs: 10:00 - 17:00

Fri:      10:00 - 13:00