Getting married

Considering getting married in Odense? Here's what you need to know. .

Required documents

In order to get married in Odense, you need to submit a number of documents in advance of your ceremony to Borgerservice (Citizen Service). These documents need to be originals and include:

  • A valid passport, visa or residence permit
  • Birth certificates
  • Registration of address, issued by the authorities in your municipality – no older than four months
  • Registration of family status, issued by the authorities in your municipality – no older than four months
  • If you have been previously married, your final divorce papers or the death certificate of your former spouse

If the original documents are not available in English or German, they have to be translated by an authorised translator. You should bring the translations along with the originals to Borgerservice. 

Documents from outside Europe (except the US, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia) have to be legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and by the Danish Embassy in the country where the documents have been issued.

In order to get married in Denmark, you have to be at least 18 years of age.

In accordance with §13.3 of the Danish Marriage Act, Borgerservice charges 850 DKK in order to examine the conditions of the marriage.

Find more information about getting married in Denmark here.

Contact Borgerservice at:


att: Marriage/ Vielser

Skulkenborg 1

5000 Odense C


Tel: +45 78 73 39 23


Borgerservice's opening hours and opening hours for telephone inquiries can be found here.